I know a lot of people have been wondering.
Last week we got an email from the David Eccles School of Business…
“Given the volume of applications we are continuing to receive and the limited number of seats we have available for fall 2009, our Admissions Committee wants to make the best decisions possible. We, therefore, have decided to defer a certain number of applications until early June. Your application will be reviewed again at that time.”
It was fairly disheartening, but we are still holding out hope. Staying in UT would be preferable because Dave has a good job, with amazing benefits and a REALLY good discount on tuition. This would make it world’s easier on our debt load and be a lot better in the long run as far as financially goes. Past that, there isn’t anything really keeping us here.
However, we also know that God puts us where he wants us to be, and UT may or may not be the place, or it just might not be the right time on His timetable for us to start a Master’s. Of course we’re going to do everything in our power to start it this year, no matter where it is, because time is ticking, but if its not the right time, it won’t happen now matter where we apply to.
Right now we’re also considering a few other programs- both of which excite me, GREATLY. Texas A&M has a 98% job placement rate for their graduates- and obviously thats a big perk with how the world is right now. Their program is rated highly, and full time its only 16 months. OU also has a great program, is also only 16 months, and need I say more about the location?
I’D LOVE TO BE BACK IN OKLAHOMA!!!!!
Its been about 4 1/2 years since I moved to Utah for Dave and I’m getting the “5 year itch”. Growing up, we moved a LOT, and so I’ve never been some place longer than about 5 years. Utah is very different from anywhere I’ve lived and probably my least favorite place so far. Dave has really opened up to the idea of moving and he was the one who suggested OU and moving back. He looked into the program all on his own(without telling me anything about it!) and then came to me with the idea. We’ve both basically come to see that there is nothing keeping us in Utah.
Dave has lived here his whole life, and has decided that moving would be fun. He told me the other day that he felt like just picking up and moving. Right now, with all our stuff in his parents garage, it would be the easiest time to move. We’ve really thought seriously about it and being that we can’t find a house, are wondering if there is a reason why we haven’t been able to find some place to live.
All in all, I’m pretty excited. At first I was really upset about the email. I thought it was very unfair to give applicants who are applying past the deadline the same amount of consideration as Dave, who had it together and who applied on time. I think its ludicrous that they would not want someone like Dave in the program. Of course I’m biased, but I really could not see a reason they would not want him. And maybe they do want him, who knows. Right now its basically wait and see until June, and then we’ll decide what to do.
I’d love to be out of his parents house, but the thought of finding a month to month or short lease place, makes me want to vomit! I cannot imagine moving all our stuff and unpacking it all and then in 1-3 months packing it all up again, moving all over again, and unpacking all over again- it sounds about as much fun as a dentist visit to me. So I suppose we’re still stuck here. We’re very grateful to Dave’s parents for allowing us to stay here, but its not our home, and we certainly don’t want to make anyone feel “unwelcome in their own parents home”. We’d like to be out of here just as much as every one of Dave’s siblings and their kids want us out too. I’m so glad things are still amicable with Dave’s parents, and that we have a decent relationship with them- its a long ways from what it used to be. We’d be sad to leave his parents behind, but will always do whats best for our family first.
Here’s to praying and hoping that whatever is supposed to happen, will work out- AND SOON!